Land Bill Passed
- Condition: Land can be acquired by govt. for private and PPP projects, provided there is 80% consent of land owners (70% for PPP)
- Social Impact: Land acquisition will be preceded by social-impact assessment to identify affected families to be compensated and whose consent has to be sought
- Compensation: Affected families will get four times the market value of land acquired in rural areas and two times in urban areas, land losers and livelihood losers to get compensation
- R&R: Includes a house, Rs 5 lakh or a job (if available), an allowance of Rs 3000 a month for a year, and miscellaneous allowances of up to Rs 1.25 lakh
- Retrospective: The new rules will apply retros-pectively to cases where no land acquisition award has been made, besides those where land was acquired 5 years ago but no compensation was paid or no possession took place.