Government looks to change rules to boost piped gas consumption
- The government aims to expand domestic piped gas consumer base to 1 cr by 2019.
- The number of consumers stood at 31.6 lakh in April, 2016.
- The country added barely 3 lakh new consumers in 2015-16
- .Oil ministry has set up two committees to address issued raised by city gas companies.
- One committee will look at making the bidding process more effective.
- The other will suggest ways to deal with key obstacles city gas company face.
- The panels are to submit their reports by the end of Sep, following which the oil ministry will initiate changes.